The American Board of Wound Healing (ABWH) provides a pathway for certification to wound care and hyperbaric practitioners who meet established educational, professional, clinical and examination standards. ABWH certification is available to a variety of clinicians, including physicians, nurses, technicians and other allied health professionals. Successful completion of an ABWH examination is recognized by a Certification of Added Qualification. The ABWH is not a membership association.
The purpose and function of the ABWH:
- To improve the quality of the clinical practice of wound care and hyperbaric medicine
- To establish and maintain high standards of excellence in the specialties of wound care and hyperbaric medicine
- To evaluate specialists who apply for initial certification
- To provide a process to recognize continued clinical competence via recertification
- To grant and issue to qualified practitioners Certificates of Added Qualification and other recognition of established advanced knowledge and clinical skills in wound care and hyperbaric medicine, as well as to suspend or revoke the same when necessary
- To serve the public, professional societies, hospital credentialing committees, and licensing boards by providing status verification of diplomates certified by the American Board of Wound Healing